F.I.S.: Hells Bell


First time published: 2011Aug03, re-edit today


Magical Downtown Sunset
This image is now hanging on the wall in the structure, and signed by Margherita Hack

It was since Parco Astronomico "La Torre del Sole" (Planetarium and Observatory) opened, the crew and I wanted do a picture of the Tower with a wonderful background. I was the only one that have in mind that shot must be done with a special point of view. Many did pictures from ground level, but it's easy and generic (in italian: dozzinale).

It was before Christmas, and I was thinking for all gifts I have to do/buy. I don't remember why I was at the observatory, however when they closed before dinner, the sky, the light were just amazing... also an extra target was there, a new moon...

Luckily, thanks to a friend in the shop near the church, who spoke with sexton and clergyman, I could enter in the church and climb on the bell tower. I was very lucky because it was a bad period for all town: Yara Gambirasio was disappeared for some days and photographers and cameramen were not allowed to enter in the church.
However, I was allowed to climb till the "first" level, below the bells floor.

Hell climb!!! Because there weren't normal stairs in concrete or stone, but a series of ladder and small stop-floors in shaking wood boards. The hole in the floor of each level was so narrow that I could just pass throw crushing myself and scratching the camera bag (I'm 174 cm and 67 kg). "Dov'è la 626 qui???" crossed my mind (n.d.t.: Where is the 626 here??? 626 it's the italian law for safety on job place).

When on top, I was alone because the sexton was busy downstair. I started to shoot. Unfortunately the tower is illuminated by big lights from the ground, so the F.o.V. was limited; also the Moon wasn't so fast as I hoped to have it in the background. The bells rang weren't a problem of sound but some vibrations in the structure, for safety, I decide to stop and recover the tripod from the edge of the bulwark.

At the end, I had these fabulous result. Probably one of the most scary thing I did (and I did many) but the result was just great!!


Super Sunset
Panorama view from the bell tower with the Observatory tower, test shot.


Comments